Difficulty and Joy

I once overheard a conversation between my wife and another young woman - a recent mother - that surprised me.  This young mother had had a very difficult time, laboring long and hard before she finally gave birth to a healthy son.  "But," she said, cuddling the baby to her, "all that difficulty is a dim memory now."

Apparently this is a common statement by mothers following childbirth because I have heard it since from other women that the hard work of giving birth isn't prominent in their thinking.  "A minor footnote compared to the immense joy of my child," one told me.

Sometimes when we are in a dark spiritual or physical dungeon, it seems as if the night will never pass.  We toil in vain, trying to eliminate problems.  We question the strength of our faith, the devotion of loved ones, the constancy of God's love.

Yet in the ripeness of time, when a problem has run its course, we suddenly find ourselves out of our tunnel and into sunshine so bright and air so clean and invigorating that we can hardly remember the pain which held our minds and souls captive.  If you are presently going through an ordeal which you think will never end, ask God to help you with your burden.  Jesus said, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  (Matt. 11:28)  Whatever your concern, He will not leave you comfortless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Could Only Become a Bird

Recognizing Jesus